- Asking to be put through to [fake name] on extension [fake number] - "He told me you would ring, and said I should speak only to him". (Play with this for a while, causes them lots of confusion as they make up excuses about the fictional contact not being in work that day etc).
- Whenever they give a long spiel wait until the end, then say, "Sorry, the line is bad, can you repeat that please?" Do this 2-5 times. Check email while they talk.
- Say you need to go to another room for a better signal. Put the phone down and do something else for a minute.
- Say you need to get the paperwork from downstairs, put the receiver down on the desk, play a level of Kingdom Rush so they can hear all the little barbarians and wizards blowing each other up. I managed to leave the caller for about four minutes and they were still on the line when I finished the level (I got a perfect, three stars to spend on upgrades) and picked up the receiver again.
- After all that I said: "Sorry, I've just remembered: I don't own a car, and have never had one. I use public transport or cycle." Then hang up.
Tuesday, 6 January 2015
Image CC0 via Pixabay Like it or not, writers are affected by Amazon. Amazon will sell our books. Reviews on Amazon can encourage peopl...
What are the key personality traits of writers? I recently read a post on Rock Paper Shotgun about key gaming moments. It got me thin...
Literature Wales is currently looking into how to run its publicly-funded Wales Book Of The Year award. The review is being outsourced ...
[Note: Although this blog post is old, all the sites apart from Authonomy are still active, so I have left it up. If you have used any of th...
Band: James Album: Gold Mother Year: 1989 Label: Rough Trade Status: Still going Come Home is the opening track of James’ Gold Mo...
Time to get the tape measure out What is the ideal print book size? I never used to think about it. At one point in the distant past I ...
- ► 2016 (104)
- ▼ 2015 (99)
- ► 2014 (57)
- ► 2013 (68)
- ► 2012 (63)